Each student is entitled to the best possible education according to his or her skills and needs, with the goal of achieving excellence in both intellectual and social endeavours. We believe that learning should be a fulfilling experience, and that school should be a place fostering joy, creative thinking, and openness. Our teaching encourages individual and collective initiatives. We want our children to think positively about themselves and to recognise and value their own talents and those of others.
We believe firmly that learning takes multiple forms, and is thus enhanced by diverse pedagogical approaches and balanced use of technology. We encourage our educators to think and teach creatively and to use a variety of methods — from lectures to hands-on, project-based sessions, and from classic books to digital resources. We expect them to develop innovative lesson plans to help each pupil discover his or her own learning style, talents and potential. We encourage students to discover and understand the digital world and make the best use of it.
Honesty is of paramount importance in building character. We encourage students to embrace challenges and welcome hurdles in every part of their lives while being truthful, realistic, and fair. We ask them to own their mistakes and learn from them.
We encourage teamwork and foster a sense of community and solidarity inside and outside the school, from positive collaboration and healthy competition in the classroom to volunteering and community involvement, both locally and globally. We expect committed parental involvement and support, which in turn we offer to families.
We welcome students, families, and employees from all backgrounds and cultures. We respect and celebrate their identity, lifestyles, preferences, and individual differences. We expect every member of our community, both children and adults, to do the same.
The Lycée International de Londres Winston Churchill occupies the site of the former Brent Town Hall, a 1930s Grade II-listed building in the late Art Deco style that was bought from Brent Council by the French Education Charitable Trust in 2012. The new campus is set over five acres, with 12,000 square metres of refurbished and purpose-built teaching spaces for the three levels of schooling:
Early Years/Primary: Nursery/Reception to Year 6
Lower Secondary: Years 7 to 10
Upper Secondary: Years 11 to 13
The campus boasts multiple onsite sports facilities including a running track, three outdoor grass pitches, and an indoor gymnasium. The newly-constructed annex building houses modern science classrooms and a large, bright canteen.
A 21st-century friendship
The school was officially named Lycée International de Londres Winston Churchill in 2015 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the former British Prime Minister’s death on 24 January 1965. Its inaugural year also marked the 75th anniversary of Winston Churchill’s first becoming British Prime Minister and the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. The name was chosen in recognition of the crucial role Churchill played in the victory of the Allied forces in World War II and the 1944 Liberation of France.
The Lycée International de Londres Winston Churchill opened its doors to its first group of students in September 2015.
“By naming the new French international lycée after Winston Churchill today, 50 years after his death, we remember the immensely important role he played in France’s past and make his memory present in our country’s future. We hope our new students joining will feel inspired by the legacy of this great historical figure.” ARNAUD VAISSIÉ, CHAIR OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS
The Lycée International de Londres Winston Churchill is an independent school set up by the French Education Charitable Trust (FECT). It joins the growing worldwide network of the Agency for French Education Abroad (AEFE), a government entity overseen by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development. The AEFE’s network today numbers 494 educational establishments in 135 countries. Around 330,000 students are educated in these schools, with French nationals making up 40% of the student body and the remaining 60% originating from other countries. In 2019, the Lycée Winston Churchill also started offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.